There are a lot of reasons to want to store your belongings. Maybe you are renovating your house or moving across country. Some people store their seasonal furniture in self storage units or have a winter car storage spot for their convertible. More and more people are looking to long term car storage when they are traveling or have to move overseas for work or because they are in the military. Regardless of the reason, these storage unit tips should help make your experience better.
- Keep your belongings off of the floor. If you are planning to keep your items in storage for a long period of time, you are well served by getting some pallets to keep everything off of the floor. You may not have an issue but if any liquid from outside or the units next to yours does spill into your unit. If you have everything up on pallets, it will stay safe. This is one of the best storage unit tips around. At the very least, this will give you some peace of mind.
- Make sure you know what is in every box. When you are putting your belongings into storage, the most organized you are when you pack those items, the better your experience will be. In terms of storage unit tips, this is one of the most important. As you are packing your boxes, make a list of what is going into each. You can do this by hand but having it on a computer is easier. Label each box with a number and make a list. Using a spreadsheet program like Excel, you can carefully keep track of all of your items. Then when you need to go in and find something, you can quickly search the file you have for your storage. This may seem like a pain but will make your life a lot easier when you need to go back in and find something.
- Be diligent with your wrapping. It is important to use sturdy wrap when you are placing your belongings into storage. This is another of the most important storage unit tips. When your items are “snug as a bug in a rug,” you know that no actual bugs will get into it. Now, many storage facilities are great at keeping insects and other pests from getting in but you never know when a breach is going to let them into your space and give them a chance to eat away at your stuff. Wrapping everything carefully will also prevent any dirt or dust from settling on your belongings.
- Get a lock that cannot be cut with a bolt cutter. Most storage facilities tout their security and the measures they take to keep people belongings safe and secure. Even the best efforts can be thwarted. It does not take long to cut a small lock so it is important to get a sturdy lock that cannot be broken by would be thieves.
- Prepare your items to experience changes in temperature. This may not be as big an issue in the area of the country where you live but if it is, you can double wrap any of your stuff to make sure it is better able to handle the changes in temperature that may be experienced while in storage. Some examples of items that are vulnerable to changes in temperature include photos, vinyl records, pieces of art and fabrics. Many items are really impacted by changes in humidity so that is another reason to double wrap those items.
- Check on your stuff from time to time. If you live in the same town as your belongings will be stored, it is a good idea to stop by and check on it from time to time. You can see if there is any evidence of pests running though, liquid seeping in or other issues. You may be able to catch a small problem when it is still small and before real damage is done to your belongings. It might give you a better peace of mind if you can see your stuff is safe.
Whatever your reason is for storing your stuff, these tips will help make that a good experience.
michael kors handtasche sale michael kors handtasche sale michael kors handtasche sale