Your daughter’s group jokes that their one friend who is not going into a four year college will probably be the person with the most money. As she and a majority of her friends make plans to move both near and far to the colleges of their choice, they have one friend who is only going about 45 miles from home, living with a grandparent, and attending a two year technical school. He is most interested in welding and already has an employer who is willing to pay for the 24 months of classes. Your daughter is very excited about her plans to first get a biology degree and then attend medical school, but it is apparent that she is at least a little bit envious of her friend who is likely only a few months away from earning a paycheck.
Machine Shop Repair Costs Continue to Play a Significant Role in the Cost of Many Products
Although there is a lot of attention paid to getting high school graduates in a four year college program, the fact of the matter is there is a steady number of careers that rely on the trade skills that students can acquire in a two year associates program or internship experience. From the welding that is needed in a machine shop to the electrical and plumbing skills that are needed throughout a number of industries, there are many great paying careers that fall into categories that do not require an expensive four year degree.
Consider some of these specifics about the skills that are needed in machine shops around the country:
- A machine tool refers to a machine for shaping and and machining metal, as well as other rigid materials.
- Lathe gibs should be regularly adjusted to avoid damage and unnecessary friction between components of the lathe.
- Often for functionality purposes, machine tools mainly function in terms of removing material from a work piece.
- If unusual noises are heard while using a machine tool, this may be a sign that you need to have it repaired or inspected.
- The drive belt on a lathe should be checked regularly for consistency and tension in order to keep a lathe working well.
- Including threading, boring, turning and facing, machine tools operate a wide array of functions.
Summer is the time of year when many high school graduates are finalizing their plans for post graduate classes. And while many are looking at expensive four year degrees, there are also many who realize the benefits of getting a two year technical degree.