Whether you have a old car or a new vehicle you probably want to extend its lifespan. There are things you can do to keep it running like a new car. These simple tips can help make sure your new car runs smoothly for a long, long time. The best part is most of these are easy to do yourself, though you ay want to talk to the car dealership where you purchased the vehicle.
- Properly inflate your tires. The first things you need to know are the facts that proper maintenance much include the tires. Improperly inflated tires cost their owners about 3% in added fuel costs.
- Check and change the oil and do not forget the filter. This needs to be done once every 5,000 miles. This is a simple step yet is important to keeping your car healthy and running smoothly. Few things can damage a car’s engine like neglecting to change the oil.
- Flush the cooling system. This should be done at least once a year. You can use a mixture of half coolant and half distilled water. This will keep this system running like new without rust, deposits and corrosion.
- Clean your car. This is not just because you want your car to like it when it was a new car but the paint job is the first line of defense for your car. Dirt adds up. If you can remove 100 pounds of dirt and debris from your new car, you will shave 2% on fuel costs. If you live in a city that has real seasons, make sure you clean off any salt that was used on your roads.
- Change your differential oils and transmission fluid. This does not have to be done as often as the oil but check your owner’s manual for the suggested frequency. You can also talk to the car dealership where you bought the car. Make sure you use the kind of fluid and oils suggested by the dealer or in your owner’s manual.
- Provide the right lubrication to your car. There are 30,000 parts in a car and many of them need to be lubricated to function. Talk to your car service center about this if you are not sure what to do. Not doing this increases the wear and tear on your vehicle and damages the car.
- Wax your car. In addition to washing your used or new car, you need to wax it. This is the best thing you can do for your car’s paint job. This is a great way to make it look like a new car even after having for some time. You should do this at least once every six months.
- Protect the interior from the sun. You can buy a protective spray to keep your interior from drying out. Also park in the shade to keep it looking like new.
- Replace the brake fluid and do a system bleed at least once a year. Because brake fluid has hygroscopic and attracts moisture, it can cause corrosion in your vehicle. It is a lot easier and cheaper to replace the brake fluid than if you have to replace the sensors, hoses or calipers.
- Pay attention to the wheel bearings. These to be cleaned, inspected and repacked with grease according to the company specifications. A spindle and hub replacement costs a lot more than the grease you will need to buy for this.
If you are like most people, you love your car and want to keeping running like a new car as long as you possibly can. That does not mean you want to spend a lot of time and money on the maintenance of your used car. When you keep up your car regularly, you will end up spending less time and money on the maintenance for your car. This is because with regular maintenance, you will cut down on small problems that can grow into larger (and more expensive) ones later on. The car business is huge. Nearly four million Americans are employed by the car industry. Globally, there are about 74.4 million cars on the planet. Some people have estimated it will grow to 100 million by 2020.